Share this post on:

| 130 | Awele Chiekwene

Ex-Newcastle Player, Christian Atsu's, Body Found in Turkey Earthquake Rubble

Former Newcastle winger Christian Atsu had been missing since earthquakes hit Turkey and Syria on February 6; Atsu was part of the Newcastle team which won promotion back to the Premier League in 2017 after joining on loan for the season from Chelsea, and later completed a permanent move.

Christian Atsu pictured playing for Newcastle in 2019

The body of former Newcastle United footballer Christian Atsu has been found under the rubble of the building where he lived in Turkey, his agent has said.

Atsu had been missing since earthquakes hit Turkey and Syria on February 6.

He had been misidentified and falsely reported as hospitalised last week.

A statement from the representative of Atsu, Nana Sechere, said: "It is with the heaviest of hearts that I have to announce to all well-wishers that sadly Christian Atsu's body was recovered this morning.

"My deepest condolences go to his family and loved ones.

"I would like to take this opportunity to thank everyone for their prayers and support.

"I ask that whilst we make the necessary arrangements, that everyone would please respect the privacy of the family during this very difficult time."

Newcastle said they were "profoundly saddened" by the death of Atsu, who was part of the team which won promotion back to the Premier League in 2017.

"A talented player and a special person, he will always be fondly remembered by our players, staff and supporters," a statement said.

Atsu also played for Premier League clubs including Chelsea, Bournemouth and Everton.

He joined Chelsea in 2013 before being sent on loan to Dutch club Vitesse.

Chelsea said they received the news of Atsu's death with "enormous sadness".

"Chelsea sends our heartfelt condolences to Christian's family and friends and to all those affected by the earthquake tragedy," 

 

 

Source: SkySports Football News


Add your comment

Previous Comments: 0 Comment(s).